Principal, Data Platforms and AI
Cervin Ventures, an early-stage venture capital firm with more than $335 million in AUM, is seeking to hire an investment Principal to expand our coverage in the Data Platforms and AI/ML space.
The ideal candidate will lead all facets of Cervin’s deals in the AI/ML, Data segments, including:
- Establishing a cohesive investment thesis with a distinct point-of-view on specific sub-segments and individual deals
- Sourcing investment opportunities
- Pursuing and winning deals
- Supporting our entrepreneurs with post-investment guidance and value-add services
Cervin is a collaborative firm that partners with our portfolio companies to help accelerate their growth. This investment Principal will work directly with Shirish Sathaye and Daniel Karp to help shape the Data platform and AI landscape, and have the opportunity to materially impact our recently announced, fifth flagship fund.
This role is based in Cervin’s office in Palo Alto, California, and will travel as needed.
Overseeing the full-range of investment activities in the Data platform and AI segments, this role will be responsible for:
1. Deal Sourcing and Evaluation:
- Proactively identify and source investment opportunities in the early-stage Data and AI startup ecosystem.
- Conduct thorough due diligence on prospective investments, including market analysis, business model assessment, financial evaluation, market maps and competitive landscape review.
- Work across Cervin’s investment team to assess the strategic fit and growth potential of each opportunity.
2. Investment Decisions:
- Present opportunities and investment recommendations to Cervin’s partners and Investment Committee, supported by comprehensive analysis and research.
- Participate in investment negotiations, including terms, valuation discussions, and deal structuring.
3. Thought Leadership and Industry Engagement:
- Stay current on industry trends, emerging technologies, and startup ecosystem dynamics in the Data platforms and AI space.
- Represent the firm at industry events, conferences, and networking forums to build relationships with entrepreneurs, co-investors, and thought leaders.
- Contribute to the firm's thought-leadership efforts by regularly publishing content, conducting research, and sharing knowledge within the team and the broader investment community.
4. Portfolio Management:
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to portfolio companies to help them navigate challenges and drive growth.
- Monitor key performance indicators and financial metrics of portfolio companies, and actively participate in strategic discussions and board meetings.
- Collaborate with other Cervin team members to develop and execute value-add initiatives, including introductions to potential customers, partners, and investors.
- 2-4 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, or a relevant field, with a focus on early stage (Seed and Series-A) investments
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with:
- Investing in Data Platforms and AI
- Deal sourcing, evaluating investment opportunities, and conducting due diligence.
- Strong network within the startup community, including founders, entrepreneurs, and co-Investors.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate investment recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Technical background in Engineering or Computer Science, and / or startup experience in an engineering, product or strategy role is strongly preferred.
- Located in the SF Bay area
About Cervin Ventures
Cervin is a leading early-stage venture capital firm that invests in pioneering enterprise-technology companies. With over $335 million in assets under management, Cervin partners with disciplined entrepreneurs building tools, applications and infrastructure products to address massive, fast-growing markets. For more than a decade, Cervin has leveraged the operating backgrounds of its investors to help founders build enduring companies and avoid short-lived hype cycles. Cervin has invested in more than 50 companies including LaunchDarkly, Paystand, and Celona, with more than a dozen successful exits from companies such as Punchh and Tynker.